Monday, June 16, 2008

Randy's Book


I bought Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture book when it first came out a couple of months ago. I started reading eagerly, but could not continue as some of the thoughts were "too close to home"...

But then recently I picked it up again and fought through the tears and pain to finish it. 

I'm glad I did, because it's a wonderful book, almost as wonderful as the video itself. Now I have a goal: to get Randy to write the foreword for my book. In case you don't know this is the book I am writing based on my experiences as caregiver to my late wife, Jennifer. 

I am of course facing two "brick walls" to make this happen.

The first: is Randy well enough? According to his site which I check daily, he might be able to do it. 

The second: how do I get to him. So far two of my earlier e-mails to him have remained unanswered, but I can understand, and to be honest, I did not expect him to reply. 

Anyway, as Randy says, "...the brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough..."

Yes. I will climb these brick walls, because I want this "bad enough". Stay tuned for updates...

No comments: